slide1.jpg slide2 slide3.jpg slide4.jpg slide5.jpg



Frequently asked questions

How do I register for teaching jobs in the UK?
Simply click here to fill in your details on a brief registration form. Once you submit this form someone will be in touch with you ASAP. Alternatively give us a call and we will be happy to help.
What do I need to work in the UK?

Documents you need, in order to work as a teacher in the UK:

  • Passport
  • Eligibility to work – British Passport, Ancestry Visa or Tier 5 Youth mobility visa
  • Australian Police Check – we will arrange this for you
  • Barred List check – we will arrange this for you
  • National Insurance number – you will need to get this once you arrive
  • A complete CV or résumé covering career/education history since age 18
  • 2 proofs of address in your home address
  • Candidate Application forms
  • Teacher qualification certificates
  • References to cover at least the last two years plus academic references if you have studied recently
  • Disclosure Baring Service Check (equivalent to Working with Children Check) - we will assist you with this process
  • Application for qualification comparability statement, QTS/NARIC - we will assist you with this process
What happens after I have registered?

We will need to arrange a face to face or Skype interview, and will agree a convenient time to do this. You will need to complete application forms and provide ID and eligibility to work in the UK. If you need any advice on this then we have people on hand to help you. During the interview you will have the opportunity to ask questions about living and teaching in the UK which will help you decide if this is the next step for you. Once you decide to make the move you can contact us any time for help. We will need to get your references and arrange for an Australian Police check, all these checks are done whilst you are still at home, enabling us to find you work more quickly once you arrive.

Do I arrange a place to live before I get to the UK?

We would recommend booking in to a hostel for a few days, or seeing if you can stay with friends when you first arrive. It is not advised to commit to a long term rental agreement until you are sure you like the property or the area it is based in.

How do I get paid?

When you arrive we will help you get set up with a bank account and give you the information to apply for a National Insurance number. To get paid you will just submit a timesheet. It is all online and very easy.

Do I need a visa to teach in the UK?
Unless you have a British Passport already you will need to obtain a visa to work in the UK. Check out for more information.
What kind of teaching positions are available?

Hays Education has 36 offices in England and Wales. Within those offices we have dedicated consultants who focus on either primary, secondary or SEN (Special Educational Needs) education. Within those sections we can find day to day supply teaching or long term temporary contracts for you, or a combination of both. When you meet with your personal consultant in your local UK office you can discuss your exact requirements and we can help find you the perfect job.

Which geographical areas do you cover?

From seaside towns like Plymouth and Brighton to big cities like Manchester, London and Birmingham, Hays Education can provide you with a passport to work all over the UK. Our 36 offices cover England and Wales and are spread evenly across the whole country.

Can you guarantee me five days work per week?

At certain times of the year we may be in a position to offer you guaranteed work five days per week. This will depend on a number of factors but your consultant will be happy to discuss this with you individually.

How is the UK academic year split?

The UK Academic Year is split into three terms.

  • September - December (one week off in October)
  • *Christmas holidays* (two weeks off
  • January – April (one week off in February)
  • *Easter holidays* (two weeks off)
  • April to July (one week off in May)
  • *Summer holidays* (six weeks off)
How are the year levels broken down in the UK?

The UK Education system splits age groups of children in to “Key Stages”. Education is compulsory from age 5-16 although most children start earlier and finish later

  • Primary (K-6) F1 & F2 - Early Years Foundation Stage/EYFS (Aged 3-5)
  • Y1 & Y2 - Key Stage 1 (Aged 5-7)
  • Y3,4,5,6 - Key Stage 2 (Aged 7-11) SATS exams in Year 2 and Year 6
  • Secondary (7-13) Y7,8,9 - Key Stage 3 (Aged 11-14)
  • Y10 & Y11 - Key Stage 4 (Aged 14-16) GCSE exams at the end of Year 11 (non-compulsory)
  • Y12 & Y13 - Key Stage 5 (Aged 16-18) AS level exams at the end of Year 12 and A level exams at the end of Year 13


Contact us

Nirenderi Pillay
London Victoria Office
Primary teaching
T: +44 (0) 20 7259 8770

Tom Green
London Office
Secondary teaching
T: 020 7259 8770