The gulf between employee and employer pay rise expectations is not uncommon. If you think you deserve a pay rise, be prepared to prove your worth and negotiate your salary.
How to negotiate your next salary review:
- Prepare a list of your recent achievements that exceed your objectives.
- List the resulting benefit to the company.
- List any changed or increased work volumes or duties you’re now undertaking.
- Be realistic. State the salary you feel your performance and results are worth, and back it up with evidence from the Hays Salary Checker, to show it is in line with current market rates.
- Keep your salary review discussion professional.
- Have a fallback position. If your employer cannot afford to increase your salary, can you agree a date for another pay review in three or six months?
If you are unsuccessful in your requests for increased pay, benefits and cannot see room to develop, it may be time to look elsewhere to continue your career journey.