Background and challenge
The world famous Royal Opera House in Covent Garden, London, approached Hays about recruiting for four key posts in their finance department in late 2011. Three of the positions were part-qualified permanent finance posts and one was a fixed term contract qualified finance position.
All of the positions required a broad range of skills and the communication skills needed for effective liaison with the various clients internally were in some ways just as valuable as the technical abilities.
Hays met with representatives from the Royal Opera House and agreed on a competitive budget and tight target timeframe. A dedicated team was established to ensure the successful completion of the campaign.
- Hays built a micro site to showcase the vacancies online.
- The roles were advertised individually on carefully targeted job boards.
- Hays sent mail shots to suitable candidates on its database.
- The emails featured the link to the micro site, allowing candidates to express their interest.
- All relevant consultants within Hays were made aware of the opportunities and marketed the positions to appropriate candidates.
- Hays conducted competency-based interviews for each post.
- Candidates were assessed against four key competencies.
- Based on their scores against these criteria, Hays drew up a short list for each post.
- The list was presented to hiring managers at the Royal Opera House with a synopsis of how each prospective candidate had presented their skills and an insight to their aspirations.
As the candidates progressed through the Royal Opera Houses’s own process for selection, panel interviews and assessment testing being supported by the Hays team until the final stages of the process.As a result, all four vacancies were successfully filled within the agreed timeframe.