Background and challenge
One Support has worked alongside the London Borough of Hackney for many years delivering a number of initiatives and services to help support local residents. One of these is a Floating Support Service, which helps customers at risk of eviction who require help to maintain their tenancies. This supports approximately 200 people a month.
Due to the success of the service, One Support was asked to increase its capacity and extend it to a wider range of residents. This brought One Support a number of challenges:
- Managing a sudden increase in workload.
- Ensuring the level of service was maintained to existing customers - and extended to new ones.
- Recruiting new members of staff to the team while being unable to offer permanent contracts initially due to the uncertainty around the future of the service.
- Little time to train new staff due to the need to expand the service as soon as possible.
Assessing the client’s needs
Hays conducted a detailed consultation with the client, which concluded that two members of staff were required to meet the sudden increase in demand: One to focus solely on undertaking assessments of new referrals, the other to be a Floating Support Worker.
- Due to the need to minimise time spent training new staff, Hays sought high calibre candidates who had previous experience of working at One Support. This saved considerable time and investment that would have been required to bring new recruits up to speed.
- Hays undertook a dedicated recruitment drive through a tailored and targeted advertising campaign designed to ensure the best candidates were sourced. Working closely with our established network of contacts we were able to also work with some excellent referred candidates.
- Hays also conducted an extensive database search to indentify candidates that met the very specific criteria.
- Hays had direct involvement with interviews and feedback
- Hays set up the interviews for the client, spent approximately 30 minutes preparing each candidate for interview, to ensure a thorough knowledge of the role and the organisation, and also took candidate feedback straight after the interviews, which was passed on to hiring managers to assist in their decision making process.
- Hays also handled the offer process and ensured this was followed up to guarantee the successful candidates started.
- Hays also undertook compliance checks on the candidates on the client’s behalf.
Within a week, appropriate candidates had been identified and start dates confirmed. Both candidates successfully started their contracts at One Support and the workload caused by the sudden increase in capacity was managed effectively.
Both continue to add value to the service and have proved to be a cost effective solution to managing the change process.