Andrew Bredin, Managing Director, Hays Construction & Property, comments:
“For professionals at the right point in their careers this year will be a time of great opportunity. Experienced contract professionals remain a crucial resource to take on projects and plug staffing gaps, but as the talent pool drains the market is opening up for graduates, too.
The construction recruitment market is now operating close to pre-recession levels, with heavy demand for all site-based staff. This is squeezing the already limited supply of talent, with some roles now subject to generous pay rises as employers compete to attract new and retain existing staff.
Demand in commercial construction has continued to pick up, quantity and building surveyors are becoming more sought after, and architectural practices are recruiting significantly for the first time since the financial crisis. There was a dramatic pick up in demand for civil and structural engineers in 2014, and the chronic skill shortages in engineering show little sign of fading soon.
Across all these professions, salaries are moving quickly upwards, and opportunities will be plentiful for these professionals in 2015, posing significant challenges to the employers in need of these skills.”
Top 5 construction, property and engineering skills in demand in 2015:
- Structural Engineers
- Mechanical and Electrical Design Engineers
- Architectural CAD Technicians with Revit experience
- Professional or Contracting Quantity Surveyors
- Construction Site Managers
For further press information please contact:
T: 0207 200 3760
Hays plc (the "Group") is a leading global professional recruiting group. The Group is the expert at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide, being the market leader in the UK and Asia Pacific and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe and Latin America. The Group operates across the private and public sectors, dealing in permanent positions, contract roles and temporary assignments. As at 30 June 2014 the Group employed 8,237 staff operating from 237 offices in 33 countries across 20 specialisms. For the year ended 30 June 2014:
– the Group reported net fees of £724.9 million and operating profit (pre-exceptional items) of £140.3 million;
– the Group placed around 57,000 candidates into permanent jobs and around 212,000 people into temporary assignments;
– 24% of Group net fees were generated in Asia Pacific, 42% in Continental Europe & RoW (CERoW) and 34% in the United Kingdom & Ireland;
– the temporary placement business represented 59% of net fees and the permanent placement business represented 41% of net fees;
– Hays operates in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Chile, China, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, the UK and the USA