Research by recruiting expert Hays shows that 68% of accountancy and finance professionals expect their salaries to increase this year, up by 7% from 2013.
Almost half (48%) of employers are looking to hire more staff in 2014, 4% more than in the previous year. This is in line with the growing number of firms (68%) who anticipate their business activity will increase over the next 12 months, up by 10% from 2013.
According to the Hays 2014 Accountancy & Finance Salary Guide, there has been an increased demand for professionals with niche skills, such as tax, payroll and credit management, as well as for those who can act as a consultative business partner to their employer. Many small-to-medium -sized businesses are also actively hiring finance managers with all-round finance and accounting skills.
This has boosted salaries in the accountancy and finance industry, with 70% of employers reporting pay has already increased in the past 12 months. Newly qualified professionals can expect to earn an average salary of £38,000 per annum with finance directors being able to command an annual pay of £117,000 in the country.
Mark Sheldon, Managing Director of Hays Accountancy & Finance, said: “We are seeing growing confidence among employers and candidates. Many firms, including SMEs, are taking on more accountancy and finance professionals.
“With 48% of finance professionals looking to change jobs this year and fewer believing there is scope for career progression in their own organisation, the pressure is on employers to retain and attract talented individuals. We expect this to result in a steady increase in salaries and an improvement in benefits packages over the course of the year.”
To request a copy of the salary guide, please visit www.hays.co.uk/finance-salary-guide/
About the Hays Accountancy & Finance salary guide 2014
The Hays Accountancy & Finance Salary Guide 2014 is compiled from a survey of 950 accountancy and finance professionals and their employers. To read the salary guide, visit: www.hays.co.uk/finance-salary-guide/
Note to Editors
Hays plc (the "Group") is a leading global professional recruiting group. The Group is the expert at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide, being the market leader in the UK and Asia Pacific and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe and Latin America. The Group operates across the private and public sectors, dealing in permanent positions, contract roles and temporary assignments. As at 30 June 2013 the Group employed 7,840 staff operating from 239 offices in 33 countries across 20 specialisms. For the year ended 30 June 2013:
– the Group reported net fees of £719 million and operating profit (pre-exceptional items) of £125.5 million;
– the Group placed around 53,000 candidates into permanent jobs and around 182,000 people into temporary assignments;
– 29% of Group net fees were generated in Asia Pacific, 40% in Continental Europe & RoW (CERoW) and 31% in the United Kingdom & Ireland;
– the temporary placement business represented 59% of net fees and the permanent placement business represented 41% of net fees;
– Hays operates in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Chile, China, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, the UK and the USA
For further press information please contact:
Claire Fowler, Hays
T. 075 9596 8726