Local school children from Knutsford and Wilmslow were given the chance to design their own computer games and webpages at a Coder Dojo event hosted by Hays Information Technology at the Barclays Technology Centre Radbroke in Knutsford.
Over 80 local school children, including groups from Bexton Primary in Knutsford and Gorsey Bank in Wilmslow, spent the day learning the basics of computer programming. After their lesson in coding the children were given the chance to create their own computer games and websites, with guidance from expert mentors from Barclays, parents and CoderDojo. The Knutsford CoderDojo was the first held by Hays Information Technology and Barclays in the UK.
Danielle Ramsbottom, Director at Hays Information Technology, who organised the event, said: “It was fantastic to see how much the children enjoyed learning about coding, and how proud they were to show off the games and websites they had developed at the end of the session. As recruiters we see that skill shortages in IT are a real issue, and we hope that through events like these we can encourage more young people to try out coding and go on to consider studying and working in technology.”
CoderDojo is a not for profit organisation with its origins in a school computer club in Cork, and Dojos now take place from Dublin to London, from Tokyo to New York. Eugene McDonough, Chief Operations Officer at Hello World Foundation supporting CoderDojo said: "CoderDojo was delighted to see close to 100 kids enjoy themselves so much while learning the basics of programming. We look forward to seeing a regular Dojo up and running in the south Manchester area."
Julian Bucknall, Service Development Manager, Barclays Technology Centre Radbroke said: “This was a great opportunity to promote the importance of technology to the children in a fun and creative way. The event provided an opportunity for parents and their children to work together through the challenges. Some of the children weren’t even phased by presenting their ideas back to everyone at the end – a skill many adults would admit to struggling with”.
Note to Editors
Hays plc (the "Group") is a leading global professional recruiting group. The Group is the expert at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide, being the market leader in the UK and Asia Pacific and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe and Latin America. The Group operates across the private and public sectors, dealing in permanent positions, contract roles and temporary assignments. As at 30 June 2013 the Group employed 7,840 staff operating from 239 offices in 33 countries across 20 specialisms. For the year ended 30 June 2013:
– the Group reported net fees of £719 million and operating profit (pre-exceptional items) of £125.5 million;
– the Group placed around 53,000 candidates into permanent jobs and around 182,000 people into temporary assignments;
– 29% of Group net fees were generated in Asia Pacific, 40% in Continental Europe & RoW (CERoW) and 31% in the United Kingdom & Ireland;
– the temporary placement business represented 59% of net fees and the permanent placement business represented 41% of net fees;
– Hays operates in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Chile, China, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, the UK and the USA
For further press information please contact:
T. 020 7200 3760