Each year around 20 high-achieving second year students are accepted onto the prestigious programme and establish a valuable link with the business world. Lucinda Millar, Manager at Hays Accountancy & Finance, is involved in the judging procedure to select these 20 students who are granted their place on the programme.
The LaunchPad programme has helped to carve successful futures for its graduates, but the benefits it’s delivering to businesses in the region are tangible, too. As the students taking part in this programme are the top students in the University this makes them some of the top candidates for available jobs in the region. Upon graduating, UCLan student Natasha Illingworth, was offered a job with Hays Accountancy & Finance as an associate consultant, a testament to the business experiences that the LaunchPad programme delivers to graduates in preparation for business life.
Lucinda Millar, Manager at Hays Accountancy & Finance in Preston, comments: “We often find that some graduates are lacking in business acumen because, in lots of cases, they don’t have any real experience of business. That isn’t the case with Natasha. Her experiences through the LaunchPad programme, such as taking a business trip to Hong Kong, really made her stand out. Natasha brings so much to the business, she’s full of ideas, is confident and has lots to say, which is exactly what we want. Our recruitment process is four stages and involves different assessments but Natasha shone, no doubt helped by the mentoring she gained through LaunchPad.”
Natasha Illingworth, Consultant at Hays in Preston, said: “LaunchPad gave me a number of opportunities throughout the programme to meet, network and build relationships with people within the business world, which made me more confident particularly since starting at Hays, and the numerous networking events and client facing opportunities I have since faced. The LaunchPad programme gave me the network and support that I needed to develop commercial awareness and working in the real world that I wouldn’t have otherwise achieved, which I think played a huge part in my successful appointment at Hays. The workshops and seminars gave me the chance to develop my personal attributes, and how to professionally present myself. More recently, I was given the opportunity to present back to 3rd year students at UCLan, that are in the same position now that I was this time last year. It was great to recognise how far I have come whilst being at Hays in such a short space of time, that I believe was helped by the skills and experience that I gained through the LaunchPad programme.”
For further information please visit: www.hays.co.uk
Hays plc (the "Group") is a leading global professional recruiting group. The Group is the expert at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide, being the market leader in the UK and Asia Pacific and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe and Latin America. The Group operates across the private and public sectors, dealing in permanent positions, contract roles and temporary assignments. As at 30 June 2014 the Group employed 8,237 staff operating from 237 offices in 33 countries across 20 specialisms. For the year ended 30 June 2014:
– the Group reported net fees of £724.9 million and operating profit (pre-exceptional items) of £140.3 million;
– the Group placed around 57,000 candidates into permanent jobs and around 212,000 people into temporary assignments;
– 24% of Group net fees were generated in Asia Pacific, 42% in Continental Europe & RoW (CERoW) and 34% in the United Kingdom & Ireland;
– the temporary placement business represented 59% of net fees and the permanent placement business represented 41% of net fees;
– Hays operates in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Chile, China, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, the UK and the USA