Children from North Wales schools, including Ewloe Green Primary School, had the chance to design their own computer games and webpages at a CoderDojo event hosted by Hays Information Technology at the MoneySuperMarket offices in Ewloe.
25 local school children spent the day learning the basics of computer programming. After their lesson in coding the children were given the chance to create their own games with guidance from expert mentors from MoneySuperMarket and CoderDojo.
Danielle Ramsbottom, Director at Hays Information Technology, who organised the event, said: “It was fantastic to see how much the children enjoyed learning about coding, and how proud they were to show off the games and websites they had developed at the end of the session. As recruiters we see that skill shortages in IT are a real issue, and we hope that through events like these we can encourage more young people to try out coding and go on to consider studying and working in technology.”
Tim Jones, Chief Information Officer from MoneySuperMarket.com said: “It’s great that MoneySuperMarket was able to be involved in a project that provides this kind of opportunity to children in the local area. I hope that engaging with such young people to introduce the idea of creating things with computers rather than just consuming the work of others might mean they were more likely to consider further study of computer science or engineering as they get older. Ideally they get to appreciate how creative a profession it is and go on to choose a career in it. The more talented people there are working in the IT and Digital sector the better for companies like ours and the British economy as a whole. Technology is a huge part of our business and it’d be great to have up and coming talent we can support on our doorstep.”
CoderDojo is a not for profit organisation with its origins in a school computer club in Cork, and Dojos now take place from Dublin to London, from Tokyo to New York.
For further press information please contact:
T. 020 7200 3760
Hays plc (the "Group") is a leading global professional recruiting group. The Group is the expert at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide, being the market leader in the UK and Asia Pacific and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe and Latin America. The Group operates across the private and public sectors, dealing in permanent positions, contract roles and temporary assignments. As at 30 June 2013 the Group employed 7,840 staff operating from 239 offices in 33 countries across 20 specialisms. For the year ended 30 June 2013:
– the Group reported net fees of £719 million and operating profit (pre-exceptional items) of £125.5 million;
– the Group placed around 53,000 candidates into permanent jobs and around 182,000 people into temporary assignments;
– 29% of Group net fees were generated in Asia Pacific, 40% in Continental Europe & RoW (CERoW) and 31% in the United Kingdom & Ireland;
– the temporary placement business represented 59% of net fees and the permanent placement business represented 41% of net fees;
– Hays operates in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Chile, China, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, the UK and the USA