Shifting trends in workplace technology are creating demand for IT security professionals to safeguard business and consumer data and information. With the introduction of Bring Your Own Device initiatives, and cloud and mobile technology becoming the norm for many organisations, security risks, and the shortage of the experts needed to defend against them, are becoming exposed.
A recent report from Cisco Systems estimates that there were one million cyber security jobs unfilled globally, yet many employers report that the graduates best placed to fill the talent pipeline are not equipped with the essential skills they need. Hays research found 73% of employers admit they are worried about recruiting experienced staff.
Lee Chant, Managing Director at Hays Information Technology comments, “The rise of BYOD, mobile computing and virtualisation brings a greater demand for professionals with cyber-security expertise. New threats, like Shellshock, highlight the real impact of these shortages on business and that far from being an IT department issue, concern over security affects consumer confidence and business performance.
The threat of data hacking has increased business demand for cyber-security experts and left the cards firmly in the hands of employees when looking for new roles. As a result these experts have seen some of the greatest salary increases in the previous year, and employers are competing to attract these experts with increased salaries, pensions and benefits packages.
Lee Chant continues, “Given the security risks posed by the growth of mobile and cloud technology, the demand for these skills will only grow, so cooperation between education providers and employers is crucial to provide the experts who can help manage these risks.”
For further press information please contact:
T. 020 7200 3760
Hays plc (the "Group") is a leading global professional recruiting group. The Group is the expert at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide, being the market leader in the UK and Asia Pacific and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe and Latin America. The Group operates across the private and public sectors, dealing in permanent positions, contract roles and temporary assignments. As at 30 June 2014 the Group employed 8,237 staff operating from 237 offices in 33 countries across 20 specialisms. For the year ended 30 June 2014:
- the Group reported net fees of £724.9 million and operating profit (pre-exceptional items) of £140.3 million;
- the Group placed around 57,000 candidates into permanent jobs and around 212,000 people into temporary assignments;
- 24% of Group net fees were generated in Asia Pacific, 42% in Continental Europe & RoW (CERoW) and 34% in the United Kingdom & Ireland;
- the temporary placement business represented 59% of net fees and the permanent placement business represented 41% of net fees;
- Hays operates in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Chile, China, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, the UK and the USA