Despite a challenging time for the public sector in Essex, there are still opportunities for local professionals to make their mark. Local housing association Swan, the largest in Billericay, is a typical example of a public sector organisation going through tremendous change and reorganisation. Like many housing associations Swan has been tasked to operate in a much tougher environment with the backdrop of welfare changes. This change has resulted in challenging and interesting work for local financial professionals.
Jamie Smith, Group Financial Director for Swan Housing Association, is an ex-private sector finance professional who made the transition to the public sector after realising the benefits of working in a housing association. Using his private sector finance experience, Smith wanted to put together a finance department in Swan that could address the challenges the housing association faced. Working with an expert local recruiter, such as Hays, meant that Mr Smith was confident that he would be able to attract local finance professionals to join the department.
Smith said, ‘I was looking for a very specific type of finance professional with commercial awareness to join Swan and wanted to attract a pool of candidates that may have overlooked a public sector employer such as Swan. Working with Hays meant they could highlight the benefits to candidates of working for a local housing association, such as playing a key role in the decision making process in an organisation that benefits the local community.’
Senan Pierce, Business Director for Hays Accountancy & Finance, says “The market for finance roles in Essex is improving all the time. This is particularly true for the public sector where employers are looking for professionals for both permanent and interim roles. There are a number of finance professionals from Essex who travel into London, however local organisations such as Swan provide an interesting challenge and a new environment for those who might not have considered the public sector before.”
For more information about local job opportunities visit www.hays.co.uk or to make an appointment with the Romford office call 01708 752878.
Hays plc (the "Group") is a leading global professional recruiting group. The Group is the expert at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide, being the market leader in the UK and Asia Pacific and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe and Latin America. The Group operates across the private and public sectors, dealing in permanent positions, contract roles and temporary assignments. As at 30 June 2012 the Group employed 7,800 staff operating from 245 offices in 33 countries across 20 specialism’s. For the year ended 30 June 2012:
– the Group reported net fees of £734 million and operating profit (pre-exceptional items) of £128 million;
– the Group placed around 55,000 candidates into permanent jobs and around 182,000 people into temporary assignments;
– 33% of Group net fees were generated in Asia Pacific, 36% in Continental Europe & RoW (CERoW) and 31% in the United Kingdom & Ireland;
– the temporary placement business represented 56% of net fees and the permanent placement business represented 44% of net fees;
– Hays operates in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Chile, China, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, the UK and the USA
For further press information please contact:
T. 020 7200 3760