The vast majority (88%) of employers in the North West hired new staff in 2012, according to new research from Hays, the leading recruiting expert.
Over half (54%) of employers have been hiring to grow or expand their businesses, while 62% have recruited to replace staff, suggesting movement in the labour market. Opportunities are being created for both temporary and permanent staff, with 46% of employers hiring both types of workers.
The majority (55%) of recruitment was in main business functions, and a similar number (49%) hired administration staff this year. Fortunately for employees, a third (33%) of employers were expecting to increase salaries in the next 12 months.
However, despite being ready to take on more staff, employers have faced some difficulties when recruiting. The most common issue for 40% of employers was the quality of candidates available, with a third (31%) also struggling with a shortage of candidates. A similar number, however, found the high number of candidates applying for jobs a challenge when recruiting.
According to the organisations surveyed, the top three challenges for the year ahead are: consumer confidence and the global economy, government policy, and attracting new talent.
Andrew Bredin, Managing Director for Hays in the North West said: “The fact that employers are feeling more confident and are recruiting is very encouraging for the North West. A third of employers we surveyed feel more confident about the year ahead than the past twelve months, and we hope this percentage will grow in 2013.
However, despite the perception that there are numerous candidates on the market just waiting to be hired, the large pool of possible employees poses a challenge for employers. Employers are struggling to find people with the right skills, suggesting more work is needed to bridge the skills gap between the skills available and the needs of employers.”
A survey of 349 employers (Hays clients) in the North West was carried out by Hays in November 2012.
Hays plc (the "Group") is a leading global professional recruiting group. The Group is the expert at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide, being the market leader in the UK and Asia Pacific and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe and Latin America. The Group operates across the private and public sectors, dealing in permanent positions, contract roles and temporary assignments. As at 30 June 2012 the Group employed 7,800 staff operating from 245 offices in 33 countries across 20 specialisms. For the year ended 30 June 2012:
– the Group reported net fees of £734 million and operating profit (pre-exceptional items) of £128 million;
– the Group placed around 55,000 candidates into permanent jobs and around 182,000 people into temporary assignments;
– 33% of Group net fees were generated in Asia Pacific, 36% in Continental Europe &RoW (CERoW) and 31% in the United Kingdom & Ireland;
– the temporary placement business represented 56% of net fees and the permanent placement business represented 44% of net fees;
– Hays operates in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Chile, China, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, the UK and the USA
For further press information please contact:
T. 020 7259 8821