Increasingly, communication skills are becoming vital for global business leaders to manage effectively across international boundaries.
For business leaders in an increasingly global, 24/7 environment, running a team is no longer about engaging, inspiring and motivating people in the same building, town or even country. Today, a team is likely to be multi-lingual and multi-cultural, located across different time zones and markets. Therefore how leaders communicate with their diverse teams is becoming increasingly important and critical to business success.
In the latest Hays Journal, the recruiter explores the growing importance of communication tackling the challenge of international people management. Even the most globe trotting manager cannot be everywhere at once. How can managers then develop the right mindset where they are attuned to the different cultural and societal expectations of global teams? The main key to success is to have regular contact with the team, keeping in mind regional sensitivities and market differences.
Barney Ely, Director at Hays Human Resources says,“Managers have to build, engage and foster team spirit across different time zones and geographies. To do this many organisations run their own online diversity and inclusion training programmes for managers with extra programmes offered for those likely to work with staff across geographies. At Hays, we run a global leadership development programme for top managers. This programme combines classroom study with executive coaching and virtual learning.
Although technology plays an important role, both in training and day to day communications, it should not be used as a substitute for personal relationships. Networks are hugely important to learning and sharing the experiences of international leadership. Organisations should consider formulating a set of standardised principles, behaviours or performance expectations to sit across an organisation at a global level – a vision – freeing up a company to focus on aligning their regional business to local markets.“
Hays plc (the "Group") is a leading global professional recruiting group. The Group is the expert at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide, being the market leader in the UK and Asia Pacific and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe and Latin America. The Group operates across the private and public sectors, dealing in permanent positions, contract roles and temporary assignments. As at 31 December 2011, the Group employed 7,988 staff operating from 247 offices in 33 countries across 20 specialisms. For the year ended 30 June 2011:
· the Group reported net fees of £672 million and operating profit (pre-exceptional items) of £114 million;
· the Group placed around 60,000 candidates into permanent jobs and around 190,000 people into temporary assignments;
· 31% of Group net fees were generated in Asia Pacific, 33% in Continental Europe & RoW (CERoW) and 36% in the United Kingdom & Ireland;
· the temporary placement business represented 54% of net fees and the permanent placement business represented 46% of net fees;
· Hays operates in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Chile, China, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, the UK and the USA.
For further press information please contact:
T. 020 7259 8821