Hays staff braved the weather and took part in a weekend of sporting activities travelling across the high Mendips Hills in Somerset, through amazing Cheddar Gorge, and into the sublime Goatchurch Cavern as part of their fundraising efforts for their charity partner, Alzheimer’s Society.
28 participants raised £16,800 to help support people with dementia and their carers by taking part in the Gorge to Gorge challenge. The funds raised will help Hays staff reach a national target of £40,000, which the company has agreed to match. The money will going towards the Hays Carers Fund, which will help to support some of the 600,000 family carers in the UK and Ireland.
Claire Fowler, Head of PR and Communications, took part in the challenge. She said:
“The challenge was physically gruelling and at times felt relentless, but it was an amazing experience. The Hays staff pulled together with representatives from the charity to work as a team and support each other through the mental challenges of abseiling and caving and keep pushing on in those last few miles of the cycle and trek. It was hard work but we really enjoyed ourselves and it was great to know that our efforts raised such a lot of money to help Alzheimer's Society support people with dementia and their carers because it is a cause very close to a lot of people's hearts.”
Jeremy Hughes, Chief Executive at Alzheimer’s Society, said:
‘I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who took part for their support of Alzheimer's Society. As a charity, we rely on the generosity of people like this to continue our vital work. Their fantastic efforts, along with fundraising by many of their colleagues at Hays, will help us champion the rights of people living with dementia and the millions of people who care for them.’
Notes to editors:
About Alzheimer’s Society
• One in three people over 65 will die with dementia
• Alzheimer’s Society research shows that 800,000 people in the UK have a form of dementia, more than half have Alzheimer’s disease. In just ten years a million people will be living with dementia. This will soar to 1.7 million people by 2051
• Alzheimer’s Society champions the rights of people living with dementia and the millions of people who care for them
• Alzheimer’s Society works in England, Wales and Northern Ireland
• Alzheimer's Society supports people to live well with dementia today and funds research to find a cure for tomorrow. We rely on voluntary donations to continue our vital work. You can donate now by calling 0845 306 0898 or visiting alzheimers.org.uk
• Alzheimer’s Society provides a National Dementia Helpline, the number is 0845 300 0336 or visit alzheimers.org.uk
Hays plc (the "Group") is a leading global professional recruiting group. The Group is the expert at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide, being the market leader in the UK and Asia Pacific and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe and Latin America. The Group operates across the private and public sectors, dealing in permanent positions, contract roles and temporary assignments.
As at 31 December 2011, the Group employed 7,988 staff operating from 247 offices in 32 countries across 20 specialisms. For the year ended 30 June 2011:
– the Group reported net fees of £672 million and operating profit (pre-exceptional items) of £114 million;
– the Group placed around 60,000 candidates into permanent jobs and around 190,000 people into temporary assignments;
– 31% of Group net fees were generated in Asia Pacific, 33% in Continental Europe & RoW (CERoW) and 36% in the United Kingdom & Ireland;
– the temporary placement business represented 54% of net fees and the permanent placement business represented 46% of net fees
– Hays operates in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, China, Chile, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, the UK and the USA
For further press information and photos please contact:
T. 020 7259 8821
T. 020 7423 3595