As recent news headlines suggest, even CEOs aren’t immune to telling lies on their CV. Not only can this cost employees their jobs but it can also be embarrassing and damaging to employers warns Hays, the leading recruiting expert. Jobseekers who lie on their CV stand a greater chance than ever of being caught out thanks to an increase in organisations using stricter checks and measures, including using social media sites such as LinkedIn.
"The competition for jobs is tough and companies are facing a race to secure top talent. Therefore, employers are using all the tools available to them, including social media, to ensure they are hiring who they think they are,” says Barney Ely, Director at Hays Human Resources. "This in turn puts pressure on candidates to stand out from the crowd and can tempt them into embellishing their CV. However, stretching the truth on your CV is not advisable, as HR departments and reputable recruitment agencies always carry out thorough employment and qualification background checks. When looking for a new job, jobseekers should carefully consider the roles they apply for and ensure the roles are a good fit for their skills. If jobseekers approach their job search correctly and invest the time to sell the skills and qualifications they do have, they should have no reason to stretch the truth on their CV."
For the latest job opportunities visit www.hays.co.uk
Hays plc (the "Group") is a leading global professional recruiting group. The Group is the expert at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide, being the market leader in the UK and Asia Pacific and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe and Latin America. The Group operates across the private and public sectors, dealing in permanent positions, contract roles and temporary assignments.
As at 31 December 2011, the Group employed 7,988 staff operating from 247 offices in 32 countries across 20 specialisms. For the year ended 30 June 2011:
– the Group reported net fees of £672 million and operating profit (pre-exceptional items) of £114 million;
– the Group placed around 60,000 candidates into permanent jobs and around 190,000 people into temporary assignments;
– 31% of Group net fees were generated in Asia Pacific, 33% in Continental Europe & RoW (CERoW) and 36% in the United Kingdom & Ireland;
– the temporary placement business represented 54% of net fees and the permanent placement business represented 46% of net fees
– Hays operates in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, China, Chile, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, the UK and the USA
For further press information please contact:
T. 020 7259 8821