Charles Logan, Director at Hays, comments: “Failing to manage your online footprint is dangerous. The added competition for jobs means that candidates need to pull out all the stops to secure a new position. This requires showing a certain level of professionalism in any presence you may have both offline and online due to the increasing use of technology. In times like these jobseekers should be doing everything they can to ensure they are at an advantage, making sure nothing hinders their chance of securing a role.”
Whilst managing what is said online is a must, candidates should not be put off using networking sites. The research suggests this is far from the case with 37% of respondents saying they have increased their use over the last year. Professionals are also being strategic in their approach to online networking and many are taking advantage of sites linked to career-related groups and forums.
“Our new survey suggests there is a real opportunity for UK professionals to use networking sites to help them get ahead in their career. However, it’s important individuals chose where and who they network with wisely and understand what information is available about them online and who can view this – only then can they manage it effectively” adds Charles Logan.
For more information on Hays and to access the latest jobs please visit www.hays.co.uk
About the survey
480 professionals were surveyed in September 2010.
Hays plc (the "Group") is the leading global professional recruiting group. The Group is the expert at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide, being the market leader in the UK and Australia and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe. The Group operates across the private and public sectors, dealing in permanent positions, contract roles and temporary assignments.
As at 30 June 2010, the Group employed 6,845 staff operating from 270 offices in 28 countries across 17 specialisms.
For the year ended 30 June 2010:
– the Group reported net fees of £557.7 million and operating profit of £80.5 million;
– the Group placed around 50,000 candidates into permanent jobs and around 180,000 people into temporary assignments;
– 26% of Group net fees were generated in Asia Pacific, 30% in Continental Europe & RoW and 44% in the United Kingdom & Ireland
– the temporary placement business represented 58% of net fees and the permanent placement business represented 42% of net fees;
– Hays operates in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE and the United Kingdom.
For further press information please contact:
T. 020 7259 8821