Research from Hays Human Resources, the leading recruiting expert, revealed that over two thirds (67%) of HR professionals are concerned that their skills would not be needed by employers in the future, but many are not taking steps to develop their skills in the right area.
53% of the respondents were taking steps to ensure their skills remain in demand but 14% of employees, despite having concerns, are yet to turn this awareness into action.
The survey findings show that 58% of UK employers and 73% of HR employees believe that industry and professional knowledge will be the most critical for their organisation, but despite this only 42% of employees are actually taking steps to develop their skills in this area.
Soft skills in communication and leadership are thought to be most critical for the future by both employers and employees, but still almost 20% of HR professionals are not doing anything to develop their soft skills.
Employees must stay up to date with technology, build strategic partnerships and increase their industry knowledge in order to keep one step ahead and ensure their skills remain in demand.
Barney Ely, Director at Hays Human Resources, says:
"Employers and employees alike need to focus on developing the right skill sets in order to ensure HR professionals are equipped with the skills that will be needed by employers in the future. Receiving regular feedback from employers is one way to help employees to understand their proficiency levels and develop relevant skills, which will enable them to overcome some of the most prominent capability gaps we found in our research.
Organisations are struggling to recruit intermediate level positions and upskilling new entrants in the short term will help to fulfil the increasing demand for HR expertise.”
The HR function plays a central role in any organisation therefore this investment and focus on development will quickly have an impact, enhancing performance within the wider organisation.”
The Hays Human Resources Skills Capability Gap 2015 report is based on survey responses from over 460 employers and over 270 human resources professionals across the UK.
For more information about Hays visit www.hays.co.uk
Hays plc (the "Group") is a leading global professional recruiting group. The Group is the expert at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide, being the market leader in the UK and Asia Pacific and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe and Latin America. The Group operates across the private and public sectors, dealing in permanent positions, contract roles and temporary assignments. As at 31 December 2014 the Group employed 8,748 staff operating from 244 offices in 33 countries across 20 specialisms. For the year ended 30 June 2014:
– the Group reported net fees of £724.9 million and operating profit (pre-exceptional items) of £140.3 million;
– the Group placed around 57,000 candidates into permanent jobs and around 212,000 people into temporary assignments;
– 24% of Group net fees were generated in Asia Pacific, 42% in Continental Europe & RoW (CERoW) and 34% in the United Kingdom & Ireland;
– the temporary placement business represented 59% of net fees and the permanent placement business represented 41% of net fees;
– Hays operates in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Chile, China, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, the UK and the USA
For further information
0207 200 3760