EGA is a vibrant learning community of 900 girls aged 11-16. Our students come from a very wide circle of local primary schools as well as a wide range of ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
Named in honour of Elizabeth Garrett Anderson, the first woman to gain a medical qualification in the United Kingdom, we are rated as Outstanding by Ofsted. The school was rebuilt as part of Building Schools for the Future and we’re now set in an iconic building with second to none facilities.
The atmosphere at EGA is friendly, welcoming and purposeful. We embrace new ideas and technologies in order to support our students as they take their place as adults in the modern world.
Working closely with our partner Sixth Form staff have the opportunity to teach at A-Level. City and Islington College is an outstanding oversubscribed college which guarantees a place on an appropriate course for all our students.
Girls maintain links with us throughout their sixth form career and beyond and act as mentors and tutors to the younger students.
EGA is highly regarded by sixth forms who welcome our students knowing that they will be hard working and ambitious.
CPD FOR STAFF
EGA has so much to offer energetic and ambitious teachers. Staff praise the career development opportunities, the strong support network and our sense of community. Please see our ‘Staff Profiles’ section.
- CPD is linked to appraisal
- We offer a structured coaching model and Professional Development Programme
- EGA Middle Leadership Programme
- In house training
- Mentor scheme
- Opportunity to visit other schools to observe best practice on a local and national level
- Internal promotion
Some benefits include: All staff members have access to a computer/work station each, free admission to a fitness suite and gym, a yoga instructor once a week and school meals at cost price.
We expect our students to engage fully with their learning and to take advantage of the wide range of enrichment activities offered.
Whilst our focus is on the academic subjects, all students have opportunities to develop their creative and expressive abilities. Music, Drama and Art are central to the life of the school and there are many opportunities to work with professional actors, poets, musicians, artists and dancers and to develop and showcase individual talents.
Girls at EGA also enjoy a wide range of sporting opportunities and are encouraged to try new activities for enjoyment, to encourage team work and to promote a healthy lifestyle. In addition to our brand new indoor and outdoor sports facilities, we make use of the nearby local swimming pool and other venues.
EGA has received a spectacular number of awards which recognise our strengths as a school.
- The Headteacher is a National Leader of Education
- National Support School – helping other schools to improve
- Former specialist language college – a beacon of good practice in language teaching
- Leading Edge School – asked to showcase best practice
- International School – recognising our commitment to developing global citizens
- Artsmark Gold – showing our strengths in drama, dance and music
This year, once again, we have seen EGA girls achieve outstanding results at GCSE. The results of the 2016 cohort show we continue to provide the highest quality of education for our students – about 20% of our year 11 students achieved an average grade of A/A*!
- 20 girls achieved 6 or more A/A* grades
- 37 girls achieved 3 or more A/A* grades
- 87 girls (66%) achieved 5 or more A*-C grades including English and Maths
- 40% achieved the English Baccalaureate
- 111 (84%) girls achieved C or above in English
- 101 (77%) girls achieved C or above in Maths
In the new external measures we have:
- Attainment 8 = 5.4
- Progress 8 = + 0.6
which means students achieve more highly than their achievement at primary would predict.
At EGA we follow a rigorous academic curriculum, with these strong foundations, girls continue to flourish, achieving outstanding results at “A” level and studying at the top universities. No girls left EGA without qualifications. This is a testament to our ability to nurture the talents of our students and prepare them meticulously for their examinations.
At EGA we follow a rigorous academic curriculum, with these strong foundations, girls continue to flourish, achieving outstanding results at “A” level and studying at the top universities
No girls left EGA without qualifications. This is a testament to our ability to nurture the talents of our students and prepare them meticulously for their examinations.
OUR WORKING DAY
- 08.45 - 09.35 am Period 1
- 09.35 - 10.25 am Period 2
- 10.25 - 10.45 am Break
- 10.45 - 11.05 am Tutor Time
- 11.05 - 11.55 pm Period 3
- 11.55 - 12.45 pm Period 4
- 12.45 - 1.45 pm Lunch
- 1.45 - 2.35 pm Period 5
- 2.35 - 3.25 pm Period 6
- 3.30 - 4.20pm Clubs/Enrichment
Please click here to view our school prospectus