• FDs are typically men in their 40s and 50s with 64% of respondents aged between 41 and 55.
• To become an FD requires experience and hard work; 45% of FDs have more than 20 years’ experience.
• 75% of FDs have always worked in finance.
• Only 37% of FDs have worked outside the UK during their career, but 93% of finance directors who have worked abroad say that the experience has benefitted their career.
• FDs need commercial nous; 36% of respondents say commercial awareness is the most important attribute for an FD to have.
• FDs are active; 76% of those surveys choose to play sport or exercise in their spare time
• 58% of FDs would like to stay in their current post or take on a higher finance leadership role.
• 69% think the up and coming generation need to get involved with their organisation’s operational activities.
In addition to our general survey, we also interviewed Financial Directors from top UK and international businesses. Read the full interviews to get an insight into what life is like at the top in the world of finance. Follow the links to the Finance Directors and companies you would most like to learn about on the left side navigation.