As market leaders in UK banking recruitment, we can help you to get your foot in the door. By only selecting candidates that we feel we can place, we ensure that those who have the right qualifications, skills and attitudes face much less competition for banking jobs.
And because we are so selective, Hays Banking has earned the respect of top banking employers, so our opinion of the suitability of a candidate is highly valued within the banking market.
Prepare yourself for a career in investment banking
Here are some points worth considering, especially if you are still studying towards your degree:
- Banks like strong academic achievers, normally with a minimum of a 2:1 degree and strong A-levels
- Our clients often prefer candidates who have business-related degrees and, occasionally, qualifications in subjects such as economics and law
- However, internships or previous investment banking experience can override academic achievement. Obviously having both is the ideal, so we strongly advise you to use academic holidays to obtain internships to enhance your CV
- ‘Soft skills’ are critical, too. Confidence and communication skills are necessary for most jobs, so by building a good relationship with your recruitment consultant, you will also be selling your skills in these departments
- Due to the global nature of the banking industry, fluency in foreign languages is always a marketable asset
Technical skills are important too
Using a variety of IT systems is vital for an investment banker, so your marketability will be much higher if your CV includes knowledge of Microsoft Access or Microsoft Excel and its applications: for instance macros, VBA, VLookup and pivot tables. Graduates with previous work experience will always be highly sought after, so if you do have relevant experience, make sure your CV lists any systems you used.
How to climb the ladder
Graduates normally enter at trainee level, and once in, there are often opportunities to make swift career progress. By making a good impression, showing plenty of potential and delivering results, you’ll greatly increase your chances of landing a role in senior management.
If you are a high-calibre graduate who wants to break into investment banking, contacting Hays Banking could well prove to be the best decision you make.
Use Hays' job search engine to find investment banking jobs. Looking specifically for investment banking jobs in London? You've come to the right place.
Contact the Hays team in our City office - Tel: 020 3465 0000
107 Cheapside, London, EC2V 6DN