Our current range of courses and coaching sessions include:
Aspiring head teacher consultations
Hays Leadership has been providing 60 minute one to one telephone sessions with aspiring Heads for several years. Our objectives in these sessions include increasing their knowledge of the unique recruitment process of selection centres and increasing their confidence and self-awareness through reflection on their strengths and skill-set. The consultations provide candidates with a structure and focus to scaffold their preparation for and delivery at interview.
We offer four 60 minute consultations:
- Securing an Interview – Help with supporting statements
- Improving Interview Delivery – Interview technique
- Selection centres – Informal activities and presentations
- Skills Awareness for Headship – Behaviour profile, interview technique and leadership skills discussion
Serving head teacher consultations
This consultation was designed to give existing/near retiring heads an opportunity to reflect on their career to date and consider their strengths and how they could add further value to their school and LA community.
Participants complete an on-line pre-consultation questionnaire, including the areas:
- My current level of job satisfaction
- What I would like to do more of
- My strengths and areas for development
- My unique offering
A two hour face to face consultation is arranged at school, to discuss the questionnaire responses, key achievements, and their next challenge. A “Talent Register Profile” is then developed and shared with the participant, who signs off before being submitted to their LA.
We design and deliver training packages to support school Governors on how to attract the best leaders to their school and assess them effectively. The 3 hour session includes discussions and presentations on:
- Alternative models of Headship – thinking creatively as a means to address recruitment challenges
- Identifying changing needs of your school and the leadership skills required to meet these challenges
- Attracting leaders with the skills you need – the building blocks of the recruitment process from person specification to advert to application pack
- Assessing leaders – choosing appropriate activities to robustly assess the skills set identified
Each participant receives a resource pack of recruitment materials of example job descriptions, competency-interview questions and practical assessment activities.
Interview training for Senior Leadership Teams
We provide bespoke twilight training packages for Senior Leadership teams in schools, training colleagues on competency- based interview techiques and scoring systems. We work as a group to establish a common understanding of the ethos and challenges of the school and discuss the skills and competencies required to meet those challenges. We practice writing questions and agree good answers and appropriate responses. Each participant receives a resource pack of recruitment materials of example job descriptions, competency-interview questions and practical assessment activities.
Building aspiration sessions for Middle Leaders
By walking middle leaders through the recruitment process for senior leadership posts in school, we are able to offer participants the opportunity to reflect on their own readiness for career progression, their strengths and areas for development along with their own aspirations to progress further. Participants will experience applying for an SLT post, creating a supporting statement, building their bank of evidence to support their application and assess themselves against the National Standards for headship. Training on interview technique and a mock interview sessions will build confidence in participants to strive for promotion and encourage participants to focus on their areas for development in their current work practise.
Speak to a recruitment expert at your local Hays office.