Hays Education takes all candidate vetting very seriously. We recognise our responsibility in preventing unsuitable people from working with children and we believe that colleges, schools, nurseries and other childcare organisations must feel totally assured that the service it provides places the safety of children as its top priority and that appropriate checks on all its candidates are rigorously undertaken to ensure this. Our policies and procedures have been developed and maintained with this objective in mind.
In this respect all candidates provided by Hays Education will have undergone stringent vetting procedures in accordance with the DfE “Safeguarding Children and Safer Recruitment in Education” guidelines.
All candidates provided by Hays Education will have undergone/provided the following in accordance with the DfE “Safeguarding Children and Safer Recruitment in Education” guidelines:
- Pre- screening telephone interview
- Competency based face to face interview
- Proof of identity including Proof of address
- Evidence of eligibility to work in the UK
- List 99, PoCAL or ISA Children’s list checks, as appropriate
- Enhanced Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) Check
- Overseas Police Check/Letter of good conduct (where appropriate)
- QTS and/or relevant highest qualification checks
- GTC/W Registration Check, if appropriate
- Full Career history will all gaps explored
- Satisfactory professional references
- Health declaration
- Termly quality assurance checks by Professional Standards audit team
An independent candidate authorisation process, undertaken by the Hays Compliance Team, provides an additional safeguard to ensure that the above checks are carried out prior to any candidate being placed in an assignment. In addition, regular monitoring by this team also ensures that the checks remain current and up to date.
Hays Education will advise all Head Teachers (or their appropriate representative i.e. supply co-ordinators) prior to the placement of any candidate if that candidate has a CRB in process and will ask for their decision as to whether they wish to accept the candidate. This is in accordance with the legislation that states that Head Teachers are able to exercise some discretion in allowing people to start work pending the result of a CRB check.
We will also provide Head Teachers (or their representative) with all the pre-employment checks completed and all information required to complete the schools central vetting register.