Skip to content
Hays - Recruiting experts worldwide
  1. I am
    I am
Browse by expertise

How we can help

If you want to come teach in the UK, our Hays Education consultants will be there to support you at every stage, from finding you teaching jobs to helping you get a banking account and even finding a place to live.

Hays Education is one of the largest recruiters for teaching staff in the UK. We offer:

  • A variety of short-term, long-term and permanent teaching jobs
  • Excellent rates of pay
  • A guaranteed payment scheme
  • Ongoing professional training and assistance

Are you eligible to teach in the UK?

In order to work as a qualified teacher, you will need:

  • To be a provisionally or fully registered teacher with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
  • The right to work in the UK, i.e. the correct visas or work permit with entry clearance
  • A valid, up-to-date criminal check from your own country
  • Clear and fluent English with excellent communication skills

Based on a career action plan that your consultant will create with you, and using our in-depth knowledge of local schools and areas, we will match your skills to our existing education jobs. Our consultants will contact schools proactively on your behalf to find the right role for you.

If you do not have QTS, there are government schemes that allow you to obtain it. For temporary contracts, we will look at each candidate’s qualifications and experience, which may result in payment as a qualified teacher. If you don’t have a permit to work, we can search for a school to offer you a permanent job and apply for a work permit on your behalf. Your consultant will discuss any queries over your eligibility to teach, qualifications and rates of pay at your initial interview.

Getting established

In order to receive timely payment for work you will need a bank account. We have established an agreement with HSBC bank to assist you. To open your account, simply visit your local HSBC bank and present them with:

  • An introduction letter from your consultant
  • Your passport
  • National Insurance

National Insurance (NI) is a tax that is deducted from your pay package by the UK government. It covers your entitlements to benefits such as the free National Health Service (NHS).  Details can be found on the HM Revenue & Customs website.

Get in touch with a Hays Education consultant to find out more about teaching in the UK.