Skip to content
Hays - Recruiting experts worldwide
  1. I am
    I am
Browse by expertise

Getting paid

The essentials

Here are a few tips on working and banking in the UK.

In order to work in the UK you must get a National Insurance (NI) number, so apply for this as soon as you can after your arrive. Your NI number entitles you to access benefits including the free National Health Service (NHS).

Although it’s administered by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), you should apply for your National Insurance number through your local Jobcentre Plus office, Jobcentre or social security office. Find your local office and make an appointment for an ‘Evidence of Identity Interview’.

More information about National Insurance numbers and the application process can be found on the NI number section of the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) website or ring the National Insurance Registrations Helpline (0845 915 7006 or 0845 915 5670).


There are a number of banks to choose from for your personal finances, but it can be tricky to get an account when you come from abroad. Having recognised this, HSBC has set up the 'Passport Account' which is specifically designed to assist customers relocating to new countries.

This service allows you to open your bank account before you leave home so your account will be up and running by the time you arrive in the UK. Application forms and further information are available.

Proof of address

When seeking employment within banking you’ll need to provide proof of your address, covering a minimum of 3 years and including a current UK address. Eligible forms of proof are bank statements, utility bills and your National Insurance confirmation.

You won’t be able to start working in a UK bank without your proof of address, so the quicker you can organise it, the easier it will be when going through the compliance process.