Skip to content
Hays - Recruiting experts worldwide
  1. I am
    I am
Browse by expertise

Visa information

In order to work in the UK you must hold a valid visa in your current passport before you arrive. If you seek entry to the United Kingdom with the intention of working and without having obtained a valid visa before you arrive you will be refused entry. If your working visa is in an expired passport you will NOT be eligible to work in either temporary or permanent jobs in the UK.

Hays does not offer work permits or sponsorship opportunities, but below are some of the most popular permits or visas available to overseas candidates. This list is not exhaustive and there are many other routes available that might be better suited to your unique circumstances.

'Tier 1 (HSMP)' and the 'Youth Mobility Scheme'

The Tier 1 point-based programme allows you to work in either permanent or contract assignments and is one of the most popular visas for professionals coming to the UK. A considerable amount of evidence is required to support the application and this needs to be taken quite seriously; the application and approval process is time consuming and lengthy in itself, but it’s quite straightforward. We recommend that you read through the Home Office guidance notes before hiring the services of a third party visa company. If is preferable to do your visa application yourself as it’s less expensive and you maintain control of your application.

Ancestry Visa

If you can prove that you have a British-born grandparent or parent, you will be eligible for the Ancestry Visa. This visa is granted for five years, with no work restrictions.
After five years in the UK on an Ancestry Visa you are eligible to apply for permanent residence. Your spouse and dependants can accompany you to the UK as your dependents on this visa. For further information log on to

Unmarried Partner Visa

Your life partner can accompany you to the UK on an Unmarried Partner Visa provided that you qualify for one of the permanent visas. In order to qualify for this visa, your partner will have to prove that you have been living together in a relationship akin to a marriage continuously for two years or more. As holder of this visa your partner will be entitled to work in the UK unrestrictedly.

For further details on all of the above visas visit