Skip to content
Hays - Recruiting experts worldwide
  1. I am
    I am
Browse by expertise

Getting a job in the UK

Working in the UK is a very different experience from working in your own country.

Our consultants will be there to support you at every stage of this challenging and exciting experience.

You’ll receive:

A vast range of short-term, long-term or permanent opportunities throughout England, Scotland and Wales

  • Excellent rates of pay
  • A comprehensive benefits package
  • Ongoing professional training
  • Your own dedicated consultant on hand to assist you

Our consultants are in the office from 6.30am until 10.30pm every day of the week, so if ever you need to speak to someone, one of our experts will be available to help.

Eligibility to work

In order for you to work in the UK as a social care professional, you will need:

  • To be registered with the necessary regulatory body (i.e. GSCC for Social Workers)
  • The correct visas or work permit with entry clearance
  • A recent criminal check from your own country
  • Clear and fluent English with excellent communication skills

Based on a career action plan that we set together and using our in-depth knowledge of local healthcare and social care employers, we will find you the right job. In our initial interview your consultant will discuss any queries you may have over your eligibility to work in the UK, your qualifications and appropriate rates of pay.

Bank accounts

In order to receive timely payment for work you will need a bank account. To open your account, visit your local bank and book an appointment with a financial advisor.

National Insurance

National Insurance (NI) is a tax automatically taken out of your pay package by the British government. It covers entitlements to benefits including free National Health Service healthcare. Details can be found on the HM Revenue & Customs website.
The Hays Global Resourcing Team can help to fast track your application - call 020 8477 3636 for more information.


Upon entering the UK, you should sign up with a local GP who will be on hand should you fall ill during your stay. Your local GP’s office and hospital can be found by visiting

Visiting a doctor is free and the only charge is for medicines prescribed. In an emergency, dial 999 and ask for an ambulance.

Dental treatment can also be obtained at a reduced cost through the NHS. Again, listings for dentists can be found on the website or through directory enquiries.